Monday 27 July 2009

Contest for science fiction/fantasy writers

Tor UK, an imprint of Macmillan Publishers Limited, is holding a contest, War of the Words, to find the next big thing in SFF. That's science fiction and fantasy, for the uninitiated, but if you didn't know that, this blog post probably isn't for you anyway. ;o)

War of the Words

You need to have a completed manuscript in the 80-150K range, plus a full synopsis (they still haven't defined what they mean by that, but I'm guessing that 1-2 page deal isn't going to cut it). You have until August 20 to submit the synopsis and the first three chapters.

We had a rather lengthy discussion on the contract terms over at A Dribble of Ink and have more or less come to the conclusion that it would be a decent contract. Victoria Strauss of Writers Beware has given it her Imprimatur in a private email too, so go ahead, send in your opus. There's no entry fee, so what have you got to lose?

4 comments:

Faharis said...

Awww, that contest sounds so up my alley except for one thing. I've got nothing so big on the needles yet.

I'm still only a baby writer so I've never managed to write anything even half as long as that minimum :P

So far I'm so full of ideas that I want to get out that I've only managed to get one to 10k and the rest are all left in little idea bundles that will maybe one day get my attention long enough to bloom. :D

Its still fun to hear that there are things like this out there and who knows, maybe next time I'll be ready to throw in my bid ;)

Janet said...

It took me years to finally write a novel to the end. I got tired of starting and not finishing, so I made a firm commitment to keep going till I was done, no matter what. When you want to bad enough, you'll do it. And you know what? It doesn't matter if it takes you years to get there. There's more to life than writing... (Shh, don't tell anyone I actually said that.)

Faharis said...

Lol, don't worry, your secret is safe with me ;)

I know I just need to work on it so lately I've been trying to write in different places and times with different tools in an effort to find what way is best for me. After getting the hang of writing and somewhat fleshing ideas out I need to figure out the best way for me to actually manage to write them out all proper.

And of course, take lots of break to read, relax and refuel my imagination :P

Janet said...

Sounds like fun. It's probably a very good way of going about it. Keep the fun in it.

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online