Tuesday 12 September 2006

Frequencies in our ears

Staunch non-Catholic though I am (my apologies to all my fine Catholic friends, but conversion is just not on the agenda), I sometimes find truly valuable things coming out of the mouth of the Pope. This snippet from a recent sermon (hat tip to the Anchoress) resonated with me, first because I had posted along a similar line a while ago, and secondly because I've been struggling a bit with the frequencies in my own ears.

There is a hard-of-hearing towards God which we suffer from in this age. We simply cannot hear Him anymore - there are too many other frequencies in our ears. What is said about Him seems pre-scientific, no longer fitting for our time. With this hard-of-hearing, or even deafness, towards God we naturally lose our ability to speak with and to Him. Because of that, we lack a decisive perceptive faculty. Our internal senses are threatening to die off. With this loss in perception the radius of our relation to reality is drastically and dangerously curtailed.

I think we are all in desperate need of silence. It is as necessary to our well-being as food, water, and clean air.

Be still, and know that I am God. - Psalm 46:10

No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online